Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My BIG Thing

What's my BIG thing?

For years I have been waiting, searching, and looking for my big thing.  I would go to conferences, read books and blogs, and hear stories.  It would make me question why I didn't have my big thing. I would see a need.  Dream of a plan to help.  Talk about it.  Pray about it.  Dream more.  Then nothing. Nothing.  I would see another need and the vicious cycle would begin again.  Why wasn't I godly enough to see anything through?

I went to the If: Gathering conference in Austin a few weeks ago.  There were a dozen or so speakers who all had written books, spoke at conferences, or were advocating for a wonderful, godly cause.  I worshipped in a room full of women and I suspect they were asking some of these questions.

  • If my calling is my talents and passions coming together, then what am I supposed to do?  
  • What if I don't have any talents?  
  • Is it possible that God forgot to give me a talent or two?  
  • What if I found my big thing and it was successful, would I be like one of these women who were speaking and sharing?  
  • Am I too old to find my big thing?  (These ladies in the room are really, really young.) 

As I reflect on the conference, I am reminded of all of my wonderful, godly causes that I was going to pursue with zeal and reach the lost in Jesus' name.

As I reflect on the conference, I question who I am and what in the world have done with my life.

Well here is my BIG realization…

What if my BIG thing, is NOT my BIG thing?  

My BIG thing is named Scott.  I am going to love him, adore him, support him, pray for him, and encourage him to be who God has designed him to be.  What will his BIG thing be?
My BIG thing is Jacob.  I am going to love him, adore him, support him, pray for him, and encourage him to be who God has designed him to be.  What will his BIG thing?
My BIG thing is Emma Grace.  I am going to love her, adore her, support her, pray for her, and encourage her to be who God has designed her to be.  What will her BIG thing be?
My BIG thing is Scottie.  I am going to love her, adore her, support her, pray for her, and encourage her to be who God has designed her to be.  What will her BIG thing be?
My BIG thing is Zoey.  I am going to love her, adore her, support her, pray for her, and encourage her to be who God has designed her to be.  What will her BIG thing be?

I may not write a book.  I may not write a blog with thousands of followers.  I may not be the founder or board member of a non-for-profit organization.  But, I have the BIGGEST BIG thing ever!

Oh how I will now worship without reservation because I now know that God has indeed given me my BIG thing!




No comments:

Post a Comment