Monday, January 2, 2012

One Family's Step of Courage

I have some incredible friends that have entered into my family's life about 2 years ago.  They have encouraged Scott in his ministry; they have loved on my children; and they have given me the friendship I needed when we moved to a new area and I was feeling so disconnected.  However, the best part of this growing friendship is that they have inspired us by their steps of faith, courage and understanding of the "Start With Me" mentality.

David and Jennifer have 6 kids and their lives are full and busy.  Early in their marriage they made time to get to know and minister to a family living in a lower socio-economic area about 15 minutes aways.  It wasn't always easy to love the family, but they would go back over and over.  A few years ago, the mother died of cancer and left a house full of kids for her mother to take care of...no dads in the picture and very little money.  David and Jennifer could have continued to do what they were already doing...pick the kids of up for play days or to go to church.  They could have prayed for the family.  They could have continued being involved without disrupting their lives and their family.

They knew God wanted them to do more.  They knew they could do more so they decided to become the legal guardians of two beautiful boys.  Not knowing where the path would lead them or what hurdles they would have to jump, they welcomed them into their family.  It hasn't been easy.  They would be the first to tell you about the struggles these boys had and continue to have...emotionally, academically, and mentally.  They would also be the first to tell you that there have been many tears, but there has also been so much laughter.

I continue to be inspired by their act of courage.

I recently read Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis and she talks about courage.  Katie was an 18 year old girl who committed to a 10 month teaching assignment in Uganda and in the last 4 years she has adopted 14 girls and cannot imagine doing anything other than ministering and loving the people of Uganda.  She says, "I believe there is only one truly courageous thing we can do with our lives:  to love unconditionally.  Absolutely, with all of ourselves, so much that it hurts and then more."  (page 251)  David and Jennifer are courageous...they don't know where this adventure will go, but they were willing to start with themselves and take the first step trusting God would lead the way.  They were willing to love two more children.  What a beautiful picture of courage! 

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  Hebrews 11:1

Lord, I am throwing my hands up in surrender.  I am willing to take the first step.  I want to see a change in my family, church, community, and country, but I realize that it begins with me.  So here am I...use me...show me...start with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment