Friday, January 11, 2013

Resolutions

another new year

a list of more resolutions

goals

dreams

failure

disappointment

The new year always begins the same way...setting goals and dreaming of what I want for myself and our family.  I set out to make a plan to achieve these goals and work diligently for a few days, maybe a week or month, but the goal is never reached.

Last Saturday, my sweet hubby and I were on a date and Scott asked me what this year's resolutions were.  I responded, "Spiritual growth, diet, and exercise."  Duh...the same things that have been on my list for YEARS!  Sometimes I throw in something about money, our marriage, our perhaps my parenting.  I absolutely had NO intention to make resolutions this year because they end abruptly the same way every year...FAILURE...which leaves me living in a perpetual state of DISAPPOINTMENT.

A few days after our date night, I felt my mind drifting back to my yearly resolutions and questioning why I never seem to have success.  Am I not smart enough, determined enough, or simply lazy?  As quickly as I started to berate myself, one thought spoke louder than any other.

Instead of making a list, perhaps it is time to concentrate on one thing.
 
LISTEN for and LISTEN to the VOICE of GOD!

You see, perhaps if I stopped and listened only to the voice of God and NOT

the voice of the world
the voice of social media (love the posts about healthy living, diet, and exercise because instead of feeling inspired, I usually feel like a BIGGER loser)
the voice of television and movies
the voice of celebrities
the voice of well meaning friends or family
the ugly voice in my head
the voice of the world

then perhaps the way in which I view myself, my finances, my marriage, my family, and my life style would change dramatically.  Is failure an option if the One directing my path is God?  Will I be disappointed in small steps or huge steps, if it the One telling me when and where to step is God?  Will I stop striving for that ideal weight, if the One who created me whispers truth about my image?  Will I work diligently to love and care for His temple, if I listen to the One who saved me despite my sin and failures.? Is there not a high likability that if I spend time with my Savior and listen for His voice, that spiritual growth is guaranteed?  Will I spend money differently, if I listen to God's truth and see the world, possessions, and wants versus needs through His eyes?  Won't my marriage and children become a high priority, if I listen to the One who pieced our family together?

Perhaps instead of  a long list of resolutions, I simply need one and that is to listen.

Sure it may be January 11th and I didn't make this resolution on the 1st, but I hereby resolve to listen to voice of God.  I resolve to stop ignoring the Spirit when I feel conviction or prompting.  I resolve to respond to the voice when my Lord tells me to love the way He loves (others and myself).  I resolve to be who He created me to be even if it doesn't always match up with "weight charts" or the picture in a magazine. 

I resolve to listen to the voice of God.

2013:  The Year of Listening

Yes, I like that!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment